Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Keepsake and a Thank you...

Since my dear Grandma was unexpectedly called home I've been a bit broken of heart. Most days are fine and time really does lessen the pain but every now and again I just cry out of the blue. I regret that I wasn't able to see her before she was taken, that I didn't have a chance to tell her how much she meant to me. How the memories spent with her growing up are some of the sweetest of my childhood. How I used to wish we could move to California to be closer to her and my Grandpa.

I went to California for her funeral and was overcome when I walked into her home and she wasn't there. I knew of course that she was gone, but standing there among of all of her things I half expected to see her walking down the hallway to greet me. I walked into her room and into her closet and gently ran my hands along her clothes and could almost feel her there. I hadn't hurt so badly since I lost Grandpa. I crossed to her bed, fell into the pillows, and just sobbed. I know in my heart that she is happy, that she is with her sweetheart once more and I'm glad for that. I just really miss her.

My grandmother was quite the seamstress and loved to collect thimbles. I now have her thimble collection and as I was looking at them one day I had the idea that a necklace could be made from one of her special thimbles. I immediately thought of Jennifer Valentine and wondered if she would be willing to make a special Keepsake for me.

I emailed Jennifer with my idea and she was so amazingly kind. She wanted to know a little bit about my Grandmother to give her a feel of who she was and what she may want to do with the necklace. So I carefully packaged my little thimble and mailed it off to her to be made anew. After a short while the thimble found it's way back home. I was so excited as I opened the package and there it was, a beautiful necklace so lovingly packaged. It was just what I had hoped for, a link to my dear Grandmother, a beautiful reminder, a keepsake.

Thank you Jennifer Valentine, you will always have a special place in my heart.

Much Love,

Jenny

Grandma & I at my favorite beach

This is a shirt my Grandma made for me, the #8 is because I'm the 8th grandchild
Here is the thimble waiting to be transformed
Jennifer's packaging is as beautiful as her jewelry



The tiny vintage bound scissors mean that your ties will never be cut....the faceted vintage French stone is about how grandmothers add so many facets to our being....and the peaceful blue color is representative of the peace our grandmothers bring, and of the heavens, where you will see her again.
The little vintage heart locket with the rose represents her love of roses and the way you loved her and she loved you....there is enough room in there for a picture of her pretty face.
The unbroken circle represents eternity and the circle of love that enfolds you always as she looks upon you and holds you in her arms always.
The rose at the back of the necklace means that she will always be there, looking over your shoulder as you go about your day....even though at times you may forget.

-Jennifer Valentine

15 comments:

  1. Jennifer created the perfect keepsake for you...the symbolism is precious. My sympathies in your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear number eight,
    lovelovelove
    to you
    as your heart aches
    across time & space
    for your grandma
    & peacepeacepeace
    to you
    in embracing
    what you did have/do have
    with her
    ........
    & that necklace is
    amazing & powerful!
    looooove that you've
    been gifted w/it.
    ........
    wishes for gifts
    to keep
    pouring in now
    as you
    need them.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I am so emotional right now. I lost my mom and I know how you must feel with the loss of such special person. The tribute you are doing with that timble is so touching. Jennifer made the perfect keepsake as Nancy said. I made a collage and design some ceramic pieces inspired in my moms life but it will be beautiful to commissiones something as meaninfl as yours. Congratulations to Jenniffer for that lovely creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. jenny
    i am so sorry about your sweet grandma.
    i KNOW the pain of walking in a loved ones home and just expecting them to come around the corner.
    your grandma was a treasure
    and what a treasure you have now to pay honor to her and to remember her by.
    there is something so comforting in having a piece of them always with us.
    i love that you are number 8.
    i has LONG been my favorite number for so many reasons. her stitches are precious.
    sending you my love
    and
    my prayers
    and
    grateful for the knowledge "we" share sister!
    xo
    c

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Sending many loving thoughts and wishing I could be there to give a hug to you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful post jennifer, and the keepsake is just precious. thanks so much for sharing. i still miss my nana so much! hugs to you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sweet Jennifer....i am so sorry for your loss and understand your pain. i, too lost my grandma this past July.
    but we never truly lose them...do we??
    They are always with us just as Jennifer noted regarding the rose she placed at the back of your most precious keepsake. She is with you now as you are reading this...she is with you as you go about your days.

    sending you blankets of love and tender hugs
    xoxo
    k

    ps....your keepsake is such a treasure...so much heart was put into creating that for you. it. is.priceless.

    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. this piece is HEARTBREAKING beautiful; I feel myself choking up with emotion just knowing all the memories that you have attached to it. A sweet sweet memorial to your grandmother...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss. That keepsake is so touching and beautiful. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for you loss! I love that you inherited something of her thimbles, with special meaning to you! The necklace is a wonderful sentiment of your relationship with her. It is precious and reflects how you will keep her memories close, stitched with love and kindness!xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for your loss, I know how you feel. The necklace is a fantastic idea, it will make you feel also physically that your Grandma is always with you.
    Beautiful necklace and beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny-I'm so sorry that you lost your sweet grandmother. I got emotional reading your sweet remembrance of her. What a lovely necklace Jennifer made you and the all the the representation that each piece holds is so dear. It's wonderful that you will be able to wear the beautiful thimble close to your heart and have her with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grandmothers are indeed special. Mine has been gone for many years, but the memories that make me smile are with me always. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh bless you. I hope you are keeping well. My thoughts are with you. A beautiful keepsake in memory of a special person.

    Hugs,

    Amelia.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting me!